Information and policy for Artists in Residence Facilities
The Art Vault has two residences which are used for visiting artists in residence.
Unit 1 consists of a living/kitchen area, laundry, bathroom, bedroom with a queen sized bed, single foldaway bed and a balcony.
Unit 2 consists of a living/kitchen area with double sofa bed, laundry, bathroom, bedroom with 2 single beds which may be zipped together to make a king sized bed and a balcony.
Both units have fully equipped kitchens and linen is provided.
The Art Vault has 10 studio spaces – two of these (Studio 3 and Studio 10) are kept specifically for visiting artists in residence.
Both the studio and apartment are part of The Art Vault complex and have high security enabling the artist to work at any time, day or night without leaving the multi use building.
There is undercover secure parking for one car for each apartment. If the artist is flying into Mildura then they are able to book The Art Vault car during their stay. If artists book the car then they are required to return the car in a clean condition with a full tank of petrol ready for use by the next person. This car is not a 4 wheel drive and it can be driven only on sealed roads. If an artist wishes to visit Mungo then it is recommended that they book on a specialist tour with Harry Nanya who will pick them up from and deliver them back to The Art Vault.
Purpose of a Residency
The Artist in Residence program aims to provide opportunities for practicing artists, arts writers and critics to further their experience in a comfortable, stimulating, creative and supportive environment.
Reasons for seeking a residency
Artists have sought a residency at The Art Vault for a number of reasons:
- The calibre of the artists who have preceded them at The Art Vault
- The quality and comfort of the units and studio space
- The fact that Mildura is reasonably isolated and that they are able to achieve an enormous amount during their stay
- Access is provided to a unique environment which includes theMurray riverand the surrounding food bowl, salt pans, numerous national parks, sand dunes, bird life etc
- The security and ease of access between the apartment, studio and printmaking facilities
- The centrality of The Art Vault – walking distance to the river, metres from Stefano’s Café for outstanding food and coffee, parallel to the main restaurant and eating area, one block from the City Heart and two blocks from three supermarkets and the cinema complex.
- They are in residence at the same time as another artist or master printmaker
- Collaboration with other artists or master printmakers is possible
- The warmth, professionalism, friendliness and helpfulness of The Art Vault staff
Cost of a residency
The Art Vault reserves the right to invite artists to participate in the residency program. However the majority of residencies are through application. The cost of the unit and studio is $950 per week.
Artists may apply to negotiate a 50/50 deal whereby half the residency is offset by the provision of artwork to half the residency cost. The artwork is based on the artist’s asking price and not the selling price of the work. This will be considered by the gallery director and is based on the saleability and quality of the artwork. This is not an automatic right and is considered case by case. The work is chosen by The Art Vault in consultation with the artist.
The cost of each residency may potentially be offset using various methods, such as through the artist seeking funding via councils and arts organisations. Should you require support, The Art Vault is happy to provide assistance with a letter of support.
If the artist applies to hold an exhibition at the same time as the residency there will be a separate gallery hire fee in addition to the cost of the residency.
The Art Vault takes a commission of 1/3 from the sale of artwork after GST has been paid (except when payment to another gallery is required). Artists may also apply to The Art Vault to run a workshop during their residency. The artist receives half of the proceeds from the workshop after expenses have been paid.
If the artist wants to print during their residency then they will need to apply and book into the etching or lithography area (refer to printmaking policy and application). This will mean that the facility will not be booked out to anyone else. If The Art Vault materials are used there is an extra cost associated with this. If the artist editions prints during the residency, then The Art Vault is to receive one print for editions of 10 and under and 2 prints for editions of 11 or more.
Length of residencies
The preferred length of a residency is three weeks. Occasionally it is possible to negotiate a different length of time from one week to two months.
Applying for a residency
This a privately built and funded art space which receives no government assistance or funding. Priority will be given to artists who demonstrate:
- A capacity to produce good quality, saleable artwork
- Professionalism as an artist
- That their proposed activities are suitable within The Art Vault context
- Ability to pay for the residency in money and in kind
The Art Vault requires the following information
- The preferred dates for the residency (timetable is available by contacting a staff member by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 03 5022 0013).
- A description of what you hope to achieve during your residency
- An artist’s statement (less than one A4 typed sheet)
- A Curriculum Vitae (less than 3 pages A4 typed) – include: year born; key events (qualifications, major employment, grants); individual and group exhibitions (most recent first); awards; collections and commissions; selected reviews and publications; gallery representation (if applicable)
- High resolution photographic support material in jpeg format on memory stick or CD. This visual support material should indicate the media to be used and examples of the direction of the work envisaged
- Application forms completed which are available on the website www.theartvault.com or by contacting the staff by email or phone.
The above information should be posted to:
The Art Vault
PO Box 5113
Mildura Vic 3502
Responsibilities of Artists in Residence
Artists in Residence are responsible for:
- The payment of transport costs for themselves and their artwork to and from The Art Vault
- The insurance of their artwork while in transit to The Art Vault
- Any damage caused to their unit or studio through neglect, carelessness or inappropriate behaviour
- The provision of materials required for producing artwork
- The services of a master printmaker. The artist is required to negotiate a package with the master printmaker and cover the costs of the printmaker
- The provision of their own food and supplies
Responsibilities of the Art Vault
The Art Vault is responsible for:
- The provision of a fully air-conditioned apartment with fresh linen and kitchen utensils
- The provision of a well lit, clean and air-conditioned studio space
- Advertising in national art magazines, the website and facebook that the artist is in residence
- Providing a secure building monitored off site 24hrs a day via security cameras and an alarm system
- The insurance of all artwork on the premises
- Staff to answer questions, guide and assist while in residence
- The artist will be required to keep their unit, studio space and shared facilities in a clean, safe and well maintained condition
- No animals are permitted for health and safety reasons
- No smoking or the use of illicit drugs are permitted on the premises
- All visitors or additional guests must be agreed in advance
- Any breakages, repairs or replacement needs must be reported to staff
- The sliding door onto the laneway must not be used when the temperature is over 30 degrees as the door will not close automatically and the building security is compromised
- All doors to the building must be closed and secured upon entry or leaving
- Make sure that all external doors to the building are closed when an air conditioner is on
- When you leave your apartment or studio please turn your lights and air conditioner off
- At the end of your stay please strip the beds of all linen and place in the clothes basket with towels and tea-towels
- If using The Art Vault car please return clean and full of petrol